Here are some of the LGBTQ-focused Prisoner Support Groups that we are familiar with, but you’ll find more in our in our National Prisoner’s Resource List (NPRL).
- Black & Pink: A prison abolitionist organization dedicated to abolishing the criminal punishment system and liberating LGBTQIA2S+ people and people living with HIV/AIDS who are affected by that system through advocacy, support, and organizing. They provide a pen-pal program.
- Hearts on a Wire: A grassroots inside/outside prison advocacy organization working to address the needs of transgender people in Pennsylvania’s prisons and building a movement for gender self-determination, racial and economic justice, and an end to policing and imprisonment of our communities.
- LGBT Books to Prisoners: A trans-affirming, racial justice-focused, prison abolitionist project sending books to incarcerated LGBTQ-identified people across the United States
- Queer Detainee Empowerment Project (QDEP): Assists folks coming out of immigration detention in securing structural, health/wellness, educational, legal, and emotional support and services.
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP): Works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence.
- Transgender, Gender Variant, & Intersex Justice Project: A group of transgender, gender variant and intersex people – inside and outside of prisons, jails and detention centers – creating a united family in the struggle for survival and freedom.
Prison Abolition/Advocacy Organizations + Sites
- Critical Resistance
- It’s Going Down
- Prison Activist Resource Center (PARC)
- Prison Books Collective
- Support Prisoner Resistance
Other Lovely Organizations & Groups
& a special thanks to Downtown Books and News & Firestorm Cafe and Books for providing much-needed space and support to our project!